Sunday, September 19, 2010

The first week is always the hardest (and thank goodness it's over)

Actually, I've just completed the second week of school, but I didn't have the energy to write about the first week on its own. No matter how experienced a teacher you are, the first two weeks are always "fly by the seat of your pants" with paperwork, planning, meetings, kids, parents, schedules, and routines.

I teach fifth grade. It's my fourth year teaching fifth grade. I've also taught first and second grades (what a disaster that was). This is the first time in 3 years that I've taught the first quarter in fifth grade. Last year I was on maternity leave from the first day of school until the end of October. The year before that I was in second grade, and the year before that I was in the first grade, before that I was in fifth grade.

Fifth grade is my favorite by far. I could teach any grade, and I really like the curriculum in second, but the kids in fifth grade are so much fun for me.

So here it is, the day before the third week of school. I've gotten to know my kids. The "honeymoon" period is over. Some of them are going to annoy me all year. It's just who they are. I like them, but they are honestly annoying. I would never say that to them or their parents. I have more tact than that, but you should know that I'm human and it's impossible for me to like everyone the same. Some kids are just annoying.

I have about equal number of girls to boys. Some of my girls all already knee deep in DRAMA. I try not to get into it with them and let them solve it themselves, but I've already caught myself trying to help them solve their petty little arguments. My boys are just boys. They talk, play and either ignore the girls or pester them. They're typical ten year olds. I've learned to deal with ten year old boys. I like them, don't get me wrong, but ten year old boys are like aliens to the planet...or in an alternate universe...they're just odd...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome new blog! And, you are making me miss classroom teaching! I miss all the annoyances and silly girl arguments.

    I still have plenty of annoying families to go around, I just deal with them virtually instead. :-)

    Glad the first 2 weeks are over and you can move onto the 3rd, hopefully getting your class in order. :-)

    ReplyDelete